Thursday, January 12, 2006

once, always

i might as well warn you not to read this entry if you had not yet finished the chronicles of narnia.

jacq posted "be thou my vision" on her blog. i also wanted to, but i'll direct you there instead. click here. it reminds me of my mentor and of narnia. the part about the High King brings peter to mind. they were given authority to rule over narnia just as we were given the authority to rule the earth. anyway, when lucy realized that narnia was much bigger than the closet, mrs. badger told her, "it's the world, dear." :)

"once a king or queen of narnia, always a king or queen of narnia." it contradicts with susan's plight in the end. my understanding of salvation tells me that she was supposed to be saved if not for her earlier faith, then for the faithfulness of aslan that they would always have a place there, assuming of course that he's anything like our God.

what happens to the people who have never heard of the Lord Jesus Christ? a knight in the chronicles of narnia was told that he was serving aslan even when he was serving someone else. in that case, was it just a matter of names? i refuse to believe that all religions worship the same god. the mortals are forgetting their roles in trying to switch with the Creator's.

8 comments:

Becky L said...

i dont know a whole lot about CS Lewis...

but i remember my friends discussing that he did make it sound like serving "another" is the same as or equal to serving God.

THATS NOT TRUE! i'm glad to hear you question it. Not all religions have the same "God" in mind. Jesus Christ came to save us, only Him. Not anyone of another name or character.

delusion angel said...

thank you. i needed to hear that. whenever people say that we all serve the same god, they make it sound like He died for nothing.

Anonymous said...

I think we shouldn't read in Christian truths too much from Narnia. I don't think Lewis intended to allegorize as extensively as most of us suppose.

Doesn't Lewis himself believe in universalism? I was very surprised when I read through the last pages of Mere Christianity, where he explicitly asserted that a Buddhist can be saved by holding to Christian virtues, without even believing in the person of Christ.

Clearly, whether he believes so or not, we shouldn't.

...there is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved -- Acts 4:12

I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. -- John 14:6

delusion angel said...

regardless of his intent, it is my nature to analyze things rather than accept them unquestioningly.

Anonymous said...

scarlet, please don't get me wrong -- i wasn't trying to criticize your analysis of Lewis' works. I was trying to pick a fight with you. :-)

In fact, it's great that you don't accept things with blind faith. We shouldn't. The Bereans were praised for eagerness to examine Scripture, weren't they?

I was just thinking that we shouldn't hold Lewis with such high regard and ignore his serious theological problems. That's all. peeace.

your brother in Christ,
xxx

delusion angel said...

hi, jef! miss na kita. =)

ad said...

oh gosh, I meant, "I wasn't trying to pick a fight with you"!!! Really!!!

It was a typo, honest. I should have previewed my comment 10 times before posting it. sorrysorrysorry talaga, ate janna!

And how did you know it was me? It really shocked me, y'know. Hehe. :-)

delusion angel said...

ok lng yun. akala ko naman nangungulit ka. ^_^

...may super powers kasi ako. hehe. tracking cookie po... ;)

ingat! God bless!